Server downtime

hda: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
hda: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

That’s the stuff you never want to see in your logs, especially not on a Monday morning! But that’s what I found yesterday when I was wondering why my email didn’t work.

When I got home I ended up spending 3.5 hours in my closet (where the server is located) reinstalling ubuntu on another drive that luckily wasn’t used for anything important, configuring the new installation and then finally copying needed data after verifying that it wasn’t corrupted. So in a way I was lucky because I managed to salvage almost all of the data. But I really should stop postponing setting up a backup-system… Maybe I’ll do that next week 😉

So most of the stuff should be working and the rest I’m working. But if you see something that’s terrible wrong please write a comment!